The stakes are higher than ever for cyber incidents and ransomware attacks.
The pandemic has increased the fear and uncertainty, and led to behavioral changes for students, staff, and even parents.
Remote network access is a requirement which increases all kinds of potential network adjustments and may lead to ever increasing cyber/ransomware attacks.
Schools rely on technology providers and their services.
- Does your technology vendor provide a platform that limits exposure to student and other information?
- Have you done the due diligence to make sure your platform provides the proper protections for your hybrid education theme?
- Are you confident that you have the proper training and knowledge of what to do if an incident happens?
- Do you have a cyber-policy that provides broad protection for your school as well as advise and training services for your staff?
A good cyber policy with a well-established insurance company that specializes in cyber, can provide you the necessary information and coverage to protect your school from a disaster.
A recent case in Florida shows how this type exposure of significant personal data can happen over time. In this case the breach went undetected from 2013-2020
At Haylor ,Freyer and Coon Inc., we have specialized in cyber for school districts with their unique exposures, and have worked with several Insurance companies to make sure that coverages and services will respond to the school’s needs.
How does your coverage respond to?
- Security Breach or failure
- Cyber extortion ( Ransomware)
- Business Interruption from a security Breach /failure
- Legal, forensic, public relations, and crises management costs
- Regulatory Defense and penalties
- Payment Card Liability
- Media Liability
- Criminal Reward
- E-crime--- Fraudulent Instruction, funds transfer, telephone fraud
- Bricking ---damage just to computer hardware
- Crypto jacking- tapping into your electrical system to steal power to make Bitcoin-- This is becoming a large problem.
- Does your coverage include any training for your staff?
- Has your insurance carrier tested your system for vulnerabilities?
- Do you have a documented plan on what to do in case of an incident?
Are you prepared ????
Haylor Freyer and Coon Inc can help you put in place a cyber-program that will provide the proper protections, training and advise that will make sure you are prepared when and not if an incident happens.
Cyber questions, need more information? Contact us. We would be more than happy to see where we can assist you with your cyber needs.