In New York, public parks are considered to be part of a local municipality's job of promoting the health and welfare of the general public.
A municipality has to exercise the same level of care to protect public parks and property from dangerous conditions as any private party would. When government fails to provide safe parks and maintain a safe property, they can be liable for any injuries that are suffered by those legally on the premises.
We are all familiar with the types of injuries that can occur from:
- Damaged or unsafe playground equipment
- Slips and falls in the park
- Poorly maintained sidewalks – Ice buildup
- Unsafe buildings / poorly lit staircases
But what about injuries from:
- Youth activities
- Summer camp programs
- Public sports programs
- Celebrations & gatherings
What can you do?
- Develop a comprehensive safety program starting with facility managers and supervisors.
- Plan for annual condition assessments throughout the year, integrating them into your annual work plans
- Encourage employees to inspect parks, playgrounds, sports fields, buildings and sidewalks, reporting on condition changes as they perform their regular duties
- Do an in-depth Insurance coverage review. Is your county, city, town or village properly protected?
Your community is unique…so why settle for a one size fits all risk management solution? From property to accident liability coverage, we will provide the protection that meets the unique needs of your municipality. Most importantly, when faced with a claim, Haylor, Freyer & Coon Inc. is there with a claim advocacy team to navigate the process to ensure the most favorable outcome for you.
Our dedicated and experienced team is here for your community. It's why over 100 New York State, Counties, Cities, Towns & Villages trust their Insurance and Risk Management programs to Haylor, Freyer & Coon Inc. We've been insuring municipalities since the 1950’s.
For more information or a complete policy review contact Hank Chapman at email@example.com or 315-703-1398